"Let us all try to stand a little taller, rise a little higher, be a little better. Make the extra effort. You will be happier. You will know new satisfactions. A new gladness in your heart."
-President Gordon B. Hinckley
-President Gordon B. Hinckley
Thursday, October 02, 2008
Virtual Academy, and Charter Schools, and Public Schools... oh my.
I'm sure this is a topic I should have posted about a while ago, but it's really been on my mind the past few weeks. Our daughter will finally be old enough to attend Kindergarten next year. I've never thought of myself the home-school type of Mom, but I've heard so many good things about the "k12" program. I haven't heard a ton about Charter schools lately, but I know they have many good things about them, and then there is the public school route. I know I don't want my kids to have social skill problems because they've been so isolated at home, and not in a class with 25-30 other kids. But I'm not sure I really want her in a public school, with all the issues that come with that(yes, I'm probably just having cold feet due to listening to the news too much!) What do you guys think? All I know is that I want to raise children who are well educated, socially adjusted, and able to be successful in life. Help!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Oh Man, I am so jealous that Shannon was in your last ward! Did you know that she's like BFF's with Stephenie Meyer?
Really you should check the book out and let me know what you think! =)
This is only something that you guys can decide. I don't feel an ounce bad about sending Hayden to public school because home schooling would never work for us. When they are in Junior High and High School this all might change. There is a a great private school in South Jordan or Riverton somewhere that I have heard about that is and LDS school.
Dave and I are really looking into the Charter School thing. There is no way I would home school, but I don't really want to send Jacob to public school. We can't afford private schools, but Charter schools seem like a nice alternative. There are a couple around that I have looked at a bit: The American Preparatory Academy, Summit Academy, Canyon Rim Academy, and a few others.
It's a hard choice to make! Enrollment starts in January for Kindergarten, so I guess we both need to decide soon. Good luck! Give me a call if you want to talk about it a bit.
Hey Jenni!! This is something I can talk about forever. Homeschooling vs. Public schools. We don't have many charter schools up here in Washington where we live so I can't really tell you anything about those but I will tell you to research homeschooling before you do it. I read several books about homeschooling to determine how I wanted to go about it(more structured schooling or learn as you go). Plus, we have River Homelink here in Camas and there are 3 other schools like it in the area. It's a school for homeschooling families. It doesn't cost anything and it has certified teachers. My kids go there twice a week from 9-2 plus any other enrichment classes like ice skating. We are fortunate that way. The public schools here frighten me for the social reasons. Academically I think they are ok. Only you can decide if you are up for it. It's really REALLY fun when you get into it and it's a great learning experience for everyone. Lots of people use K12 here and they love it. Kids learn better one on one but it can also put stress on your relationship if you are butting heads with each other. Just remember you are the Mom and you are in charge not them. I use alot of little rewards for school to keep them motivated as well. Okay, I'll stop babbling. Email me or call with any questions.
You cuz, Lynda
I'm one of the older generation, but here's my thoughts. I have heard more and more about how great home schooling is, with curriculum set out, working with the schools, activity groups, and so forth. Charters are a great idea, smaller class size, etc., but they also come and go it seems.
My kids have gone through public school. My feeling is that with a strong teaching of values at home, with mom and dad willing to do extra (i.e. reading, field trips, library, projects etc. - which is a lot of fun for everyone!), I think public school is fine. And, with a goal as they get older of getting them into honors classes - not even necessarily because of the work, but because of the student population that is there - the students want to learn - huge difference, my kids have commented. Also, getting them involved with activities, where they have a good base of friends they can be with, particularly when older, that have the same values you do.
And, as one teacher commented to me about mainstreaming Jonathan, the world is what it is. The more a child lives in it when younger while a parent can provide direction, maybe the easier it is when they have to face it in adulthood.
You're lucky to have choices, though it does make for a lot of decisions . . .
I'm seriously considering homeschooling already. For us it will depend on where we are when our kids are school age and what the schools are like in that area. I know at least around here there are a lot of homeschooling groups that meet for certain activities so that your kids still get a lot of social interaction as well. Definitely though it depends on each kid's personality and if it would work to have to be the mom AND the teacher.
Good luck figuring it out!
I have thought about homeschooling my kids too, but have decided that as far as elementary school goes, that they need that interaction with other kids, luckily Morgan has made some great friends who have the same values as her. Homeschooling is not an option I would rule out but I think I would be more likely to do it when they get a little older.
We have our kids in public schools but with no misconceptions about what the downsides are. We feel it is important for them to learn to interact with all different kinds of people, not just people with the same beliefs and values we have. I think it has also been valuable for our kids to be in the same school as the other kids in the neighborhood. It has really helped both Daniel and Nathan to blossom socially. So we public school them and we definitely do a lot at home to help them (reading, library trips, field trips, etc.). As an ex-public school teacher I am absolutely aware of all the cons to public schools, but I also know that I can make up for any academic deficits by helping at home.
But no matter where your kids end up, the most important thing is to be involved. Be "that mom" who is in the classroom. Be aware of what is going on. Any teacher who doesn't welcome parental visits and volunteering is someone to look out for. And if the situation isn't working out for your family, you can always change it.
Hey!! Tough Choices I know. My kids go to public school, but of course here where we live things are a bit milder than in the city. I think homeschooling is a great way to go if you are dedicated and have the time and energy to do it - I love the option Lynda has with having the kids get the social part (going to classes with others) and have the homeschooling part. My daughter has several friends that are or have been homeschooled and academically they excel far beyond any public schooled child, but socially some fit in great and the other not as well - I find it depends on your childs personality on the social end of it. I feel really good so far about my children in public school because of the fact that they have awesome friends who are members and come from great homes. Where my daughter goes to middle school next year will definitely depend on where her friends are going to be going. High school scares me to death but I feel "Good" friends are the key - Friends will always be an influence on your children whether it be good or bad, but what you have taught them at home and what they have learned at church will help them in most things that they face - even as young children, you can tell if they have been taught and listened and if they have, they will be just fine out in the world however you choose it to be. Good luck and sorry for babbling!!
We just got our computer back so who knows if this post is too old to notice my comment. I think as a mom you just need to always be in tune and know what the Lord wants for your child. For our family we decided that our children need to experience diversity. Along with that we felt they needed to experience temptations and consequences, especially while they are small and inconsequential. I had friends that home schooled in elementary, but then went to public middle school and high school. They were unprepared for the peer pressures and temptations. Unfortunately many left the church, had children out of wedlock, and one even committed suicide. Now not that that will happen to all kids, but I do think it is a building process. I was surprised at how young those pressures come; thank goodness right now it’s only about favorite colors and princesses. You are wonderful parents and teach your children what is right, there will always be bad somewhere in the world, but we can’t hide them away from it. I know other moms have commented on being involved and that has made all the difference for us. I know everyone in my kid’s classes, I know who their friends are, and we are able to talk about situations that arise from peers. We have also had some missionary experiences as my children have wanted to share the gospel with their friends. I don’t envy you at this decision time; it is a huge cross road for your family. Best of luck.
Post a Comment