"Let us all try to stand a little taller, rise a little higher, be a little better. Make the extra effort. You will be happier. You will know new satisfactions. A new gladness in your heart."
-President Gordon B. Hinckley


Thursday, October 02, 2008

Honk your horn...

if you think Jenni is a bad Mom day. It seems an accurate title for my day, I apologize up front for doing two posts in one day, and one of them being a vent more than anything.

Crossing guard today was not a great day....I went into the Elementary school office to get a school schedule to know when I didn't need to show up for school holidays, and the lady at the front desk continues to tell me.. "Oh, no wonder we're getting lots of complaints about where you park your car... no one can turn right onto (a certain road) after they pick thier kids up from school. We actually contacted police you said you could park there, but are passing on the complaints since you're here." First off, I park approx 4 car lengths away from the intersection... which I'd actually prefer to have my kids closer to me, seeing as they stay in the car. I thought I was being curteous to the drivers. I continued to explain that that side of the street is the ONLY shaded part of any of the roads. (kids in the car)... to which she replied. "Oh, your kids come with you.. (with one of those condescending looks)" (Seemed like she was saying, I can't believe you would do that to your kids.) Then I had a few questions about the school schedule, which she completely blew off, told me she didn't know and to come back later in the year when testing came closer... She kind of walked away at that point, so I took my 3 kiddo's and we went home. Weird. I called the police officer that I report to, to make sure I was good where I parked, and he confirmed I was okay to park where ever was the easiest for me.

This afternoon, I thought about attempting to park somewhere else because it was an overcast day. But I really wasn't comfortable leaving it parked on a corner that isn't as logical for me to stand on...and I guess the defiant part of me came out and I wanted to park where I had been parking all week. Well before I know it, I have a lady shaking her hand at me shocked and appauld yelling frustrated that I park my car there, AND leave my kids in the car.

Do crossing guards really bother people to the degree they feel good about yelling at them? I don't get why people are so quick to judge and belittle others. I guess I better just suck it up, and try and not let people get to me. But for now, I'll feel completely little, and dumb-think of some things I could do that people would deserve to complain about(that I would never really do). And hope tomorrow is a better day.

2 comments:

Christie // lemon squeezy home said...

Cute picture on your heading! I love it ! I'm sorry people are just rude sometimes--I hate those looks and when you just know that they are judging you. It helps me remember not to do it to others since we just NEVER can know the whole situation!!! I hope tomorrow is better:).

Tara said...

Hey, Sorry you had such a hard day. It's hard feeling like people are judging you, but the longer I live in this crazy world the more I realize, not everyone sees things the way I do. Unfortunately some are even down right rude about asserting their ideas at times. We all see the world through our own unique experiences, maybe those critics of yours were wronged throughout their school years by a troll of a crossing guard, and they're taking it out on you. JK Not to make light of it, I'm so sorry you had to deal with some rude people, I'm sure tomorrow will be better. You are both liked and loved by those people who's opinions matter significantly more, right? Love you:)
Tara