I got hired as a crossing guard for another city, and I was happy to be offered a 'full-time' position (meaning twice a day.) I am positioned alone on a 4-way street, which is pretty busy, but I'm glad that I have a stop light to work with. I am pretty comfortable with the morning crossing, but the afternoon crossing is pretty intense because there is A LOT of traffic, and kids wanting to go to all 3 different corners. This may seem like a petty job to some, because the stop lights obviously have the blue little guys that light up indicating that it's okay to walk. I had my closest call to having a child(that I was crossing) getting hit. It was a kind looking elderly man, and he didn't even look at the child or myself in the middle of the road until I yelled at the top of my lungs(which is very out of character for me). He came within only a couple feet of the child and his bike. It was an eye opener for me, and I'm really glad I was there. I know accidents happen, and it wasn't this man's intent to not be watching the road and his surroundings as well as he should have, but it makes me sad that we aren't more careful! I know school zones are really annoying, especially when we are in a hurry, but please, please be aware that they are there for a purpose... and be a little more cautious when driving through them. Sorry for my vent. It was a scary event for me. ;)
"Let us all try to stand a little taller, rise a little higher, be a little better. Make the extra effort. You will be happier. You will know new satisfactions. A new gladness in your heart."
-President Gordon B. Hinckley
-President Gordon B. Hinckley
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
My newest job.
I got hired as a crossing guard for another city, and I was happy to be offered a 'full-time' position (meaning twice a day.) I am positioned alone on a 4-way street, which is pretty busy, but I'm glad that I have a stop light to work with. I am pretty comfortable with the morning crossing, but the afternoon crossing is pretty intense because there is A LOT of traffic, and kids wanting to go to all 3 different corners. This may seem like a petty job to some, because the stop lights obviously have the blue little guys that light up indicating that it's okay to walk. I had my closest call to having a child(that I was crossing) getting hit. It was a kind looking elderly man, and he didn't even look at the child or myself in the middle of the road until I yelled at the top of my lungs(which is very out of character for me). He came within only a couple feet of the child and his bike. It was an eye opener for me, and I'm really glad I was there. I know accidents happen, and it wasn't this man's intent to not be watching the road and his surroundings as well as he should have, but it makes me sad that we aren't more careful! I know school zones are really annoying, especially when we are in a hurry, but please, please be aware that they are there for a purpose... and be a little more cautious when driving through them. Sorry for my vent. It was a scary event for me. ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
We've been talking about taking the kids to Salt Lake to go to Temple square, just for a little sunday trip, so when we decide to do it I'll let you know.
By the way I think you are awesome to be a crossing guard, I know that Morgan's school is on a super busy street and if it weren't for the crossing guards the kids would never be able to get home.
Oh my gosh! You be careful. My friend Camille is ALSO a crossing guard and just the other day she had a kid almost get hit! SO scary!!! My hat goes off to you! It is NOT a petty job!!! You are keeping somebodys babies safe!!! You are amazing!
I can totally see you loving this new job! It's perfect! That was a crazy-scary thing to have happen (no, I can't imagine you yelling!!). I hope that's the worst that EVER happens!!
Post a Comment